Sunday, July 3, 2011

Camp Orion

Last week we had our camp that is one of the main things we focus on doing while in australia and it’s amazing how that camp changes lives. It’s called Camp Orion and it has had such an amazing impact on lives that you can tell God has been working at the camp. It’s a high ropes course type of camp and the phrase we always use is “challenge by choice” that way you are able to push people to trust you without actually making them do something they would prefer not doing. It’s usually a small camp and you try to keep the dynamics one Lipscomb (or ACU) student to be buddied up with one camper that way it’s a personal experience. The goal is simple: to change lives. and I think that is exactly what happened last week and I know it happened last year.

Last year at camp i had a buddy that wasn’t too fond of me. I know, shocking, but in this case it wasnt that I was really disliked, but i think we just had different ideas of ways of living. Although we didnt get along, camp Orion changed my life. After a full day of ropes courses and challenges we would come together to eat dinner, spend some time with our buddies, then someone within the camp would share a part of their story to everyone. Nathan Mankin, Jamie Ware, Nikki Coker, and Lucas Womack opened up to everyone about hard parts of their lives and many people were able to relate to the stories and were touched by their stories. Theres something amazing about knowing peoples past that makes you slower to judge and more loving and it takes a lot out of people to be able to open their lives up and let you be a part of the story.

We only had 6 campers come to camp Orion this year. At first it seemed discouraging to only have 6, but then we realized that God needed it to be like that so we could be the most effective. There were three boys there this year that we really put a lot of our focus into. The other 3 campers are Christians and are already great friends with the Lipscomb team and our purpose so we wanted the 3 boys to feel the same way. Seeing the way that the boys opened up and changed throughout the week was more than amazing. They were more willing to try the high ropes things with us being there to encourage, they were talking more and being themselves and really letting us get to know who they are. It’s amazing what one week can do while developing friendships.

During the week we had speakers talk about their lives again this year and I was able to share my story. It not only affected others from hearing it, but it definitely made a difference in me by just being open enough to share my life with a group of people. Being vulnerable has always been hard for me and it was challenging to tell people about who I am and what has shaped my life. Sharing your story is just as, if not more, beneficial to the person speaking than the people hearing, and knowing other people responded so well to me after telling my story was inspiring. One thing that gave me so much hope was knowing that a few other people in the room were open enough to share their lives and if they could, i knew i needed to be open too. Sharing stories is one of the best ways to communicate and I believe everyone was able to get something out of camp Orion.

I saw God a lot in my trip last year, but being in a different place in life like I am right now, I can see God in so many different people and places this time around. God has shown me great people and the love that they have for live, God, and others and it is amazing. Love is such a universal language and I need to be better at showing it to others and more willing to receive it.

No comments:

Post a Comment